Saturday, July 6, 2013

Washington, D.C. - Thursday, July 4, 2013 - Capital Fourth of July


I would love to tell you I have some amazing pictures of our Capital Fourth of July experience.  However, I forgot the camera when we headed out this morning!!  This experience is something you should do if you are in our nation’s capital for the 4th of July – maybe once and with no kids.  In order to get the very best seats you need to be at the gate to the west lawn at 3:00.  We took the metro from Old Town Alexandria where Robyn dropped us off and arrived at the west lawn at 4:00.  We got a good seat on the Capital steps (which I thought was pretty cool).  Actually, that’s a bad choice of words it was HOT!!  We sat in 95 degree bright sunshine for 4 hours.  If Greg tells the truth, he could have cared less about the fireworks, but he sat there because he knew I really wanted to see them and he didn’t complain at all.  I think he’ll probably remind me of that when we are sitting in the broiling sun at some NASCAR race in the future.  Thank goodness, we thought it might rain and took umbrellas so we were shaded a bit from the sun.

There was a pre-fireworks concert with Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow , Scotty McCreary and others which was really good.  This whole thing – the concert and the fireworks are free so the place was packed as far as you could see.  That has to be a security nightmare!  Capital police and park rangers were out in force and everything seemed to go well.

The real challenge was getting back to Old Town on the Metro along with thousands of other people.  I’m not sure how many people you can stuff into a metro car, but I think we might have exceeded the record that night.  We have a lot of new very close friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment