Friday, July 19, 2013

North Carolina, Waynesville - Friday, July 19, 2013 - Nice Day to Ride


We took off this morning into Waynesville to find the Best Buy store.  When we got to the edge of town we remembered that today was the International Parade for Folkmoot.  I think I read that Folkmoot is in its 30th year.  It started when one of the men in a square dance group that went overseas to see some of the folk dances from different countries decided that the Maggie Valley area would be a good place to gather international dancers.  It’s evidently grown to be a really big event.  The streets were lined with people by 11:30 and the parade didn’t start until 1:00.  What I want to see, the dancing, doesn’t take place until next weekend and we'll be headed to Sioux Falls, SD by then.

I didn’t take the camera with me this morning, after all what was going to be that interesting at Best Buy?  But I missed a really good photo op of a giant potato.  Obviously it wasn’t real, but it was huge – hauled into town on its own flatbed trailer with oversized load signs on it.  The tractor pulling it had “spuddy buddy” written on the side.  Greg had his cell phone with him, but I didn’t think it was a good idea to try to rummage around in his pockets to find it while we were on the bike.

We found Best Buy and got a protective cover for the new phone and talked with one of the guys there about what we needed to do to get our Sirius radio hooked up.  Rather than try to get back through town, we took an alternate route back home.

When we got home, I was going to make a peach pie but I decided on a rustic peach tart instead – turned out pretty good.  Our peaches were getting ripe faster than we could eat them fresh.
 

Storms are coming in again this evening, but up until 6:30 or so it was really nice to be outside.  We managed to get hamburgers grilled and green tomatoes fried before the storms started.  I fry the tomatoes outside because I deep fry them in beer batter and I don’t want to get grease splatters all over everything inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment