Temperatures were just barely in the 50s today and it was raining, so we decided to stay inside. A couple of months ago we decided to try another DIY project – tire covers. Tire covers keep the harsh sun off of the tires to prolong wear.Back in 2008 I bought a new Singer sewing machine. I hadn’t done any sewing for many years but I had visions of doing amazing thingsJ. The sewing I had done previously was done on an old Singer treadle machine that I still had, but it did have its limits. However, after I bought the new machine my life took a very nice, but unexpected turn.
Greg and I were reintroduced by a mutual friend, got married and consolidated houses. Then we decided to pursue living fulltime in an RV. So we had to buy an RV, sell our house and belongings – you see where I’m going here – things got really busy and the sewing was forgotten. But, one of the things I decided to keep with me when we went on the road was the sewing machine, I still had visions of doing amazing things.Yesterday we brought out the sewing machine and I started reading the directions, this is more complicated than the treadle machine!
We had previously picked up the materials for the covers at Home Depot so we dug them out today, did some measuring and started in.I wish I could have gotten a picture of the two of us guiding a piece of sunscreen material that was 4 foot by 8 foot through this sewing machine. It was definitely a two person job!
At this point we are just about done with this one, we just need to decide how deep the bottom hem needs to be so we have room to insert the pipes that will be used to hold it down once it is installed on the coach.
Tomorrow we’ll work on getting this cover installed over the dual tires on one side of the coach and hopefully we can get the other dual cover put together.