Saturday, July 27, 2013

Tennessee, Nashville - Saturday, July 27, 2013 - Grand Old Opry and Opryland Hotel


We’ve moved to Two Rivers Campground which is about two miles from the Grand Old Opry.  It’s a very nice campground, we’ll be staying here until Monday morning.  I’ll take some pictures for tomorrow’s post.  Last night we went to the show at the Grand Old Opry.  It was awesome, but you really have to like old country music.  The show was two hours long and some of the performers were Jim Ed Brown, John Conlee, Jean Shepard, Bill Anderson, the Grascals and Larry Gatlin.  Jim Ed Brown said he is 79, but his voice is still beautiful – I could have listened to him all night.  Jean Shepard sang “Tennessee Waltz” and I could remember my Dad singing that when I was a little girl.
Right now we are sitting on our patio listening to a country singer performing on the porch of the community building here in the campground, he's pretty good.  We are only a couple of sites away so we can just sit in our lawn chairs and enjoy.  The temperature is 77 degrees with a nice breeze blowing, no humidity – can’t get much better than this.

In case everyone thought that the only thing I can cook is desserts, I thought I would post what we are having for supper this evening.  Getting ready to stir-fry chicken and vegetables.  I tried fixing ham loaf in the crock pot last night while we were gone to the Opry, didn’t turn out too bad.  I had to guess on the time and I guessed wrong so it was a little overdone, but still edible-it will be better next time.
 

We went to the Opryland Hotel this afternoon.  The size of this place is just overwhelming.  It’s way too big to get a good outside picture unless you are in an airplane!  I’ve stayed here a few times for conventions when I was on an expense account but it amazes me every time I see it.
There are nooks and crannies all over where people can sit and enjoy the beautiful plants.  All of these pictures are taken inside the hotel.



Imagine sitting on your patio and looking down on all of this.
 
 
Restaurants and bars are surrounded by trees and plants
 

I’ve grown a lot of these plants in the past, but they never did look this good.  See the little red pepper plants?
 
 
Maybe I needed a 40 foot waterfall.
 

Or a canal


Orchids are everywhere
 

And bananas


After we walked through all of the hotel gardens we headed over the Opry Mills.  This is a huge outlet mall, I’m guessing more than twice the size of the Edinburgh Outlet mall I am familiar with in Indiana.  Traffic was backed up for as far as you could see to get into this place.  Once we got in parking was another problem.  We found a spot next to the roadway coming in and were taking off our helmets and getting ready to head in when a car on the roadway blew a tire and the hubcap flew off hitting the car right next to us.  Somebody was looking out for us today – I think that thing would have hurt, it was moving!
We have a king size Sleep Number bed in the RV and I’ve been wanting a mattress cover that is supposed to keep you cool at night.  I’m going to be eighty before I get over these hot flashesJ.  Well, we found one – should have seen Greg getting that thing stuffed into the storage area on the motorcycle.  I would have taken pictures, but I don’t think he would have appreciated that.  Its times like that he probably wonders if I’m worth it.  I’ll let you know if this thing works.

No comments:

Post a Comment