Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Louisiana, Convent - Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - Poche Plantation


As we headed toward Baton Rouge this morning we crossed another of the high bridges made to accommodate the large oil ships.  There was a 10-story hotel right next to this and I was looking at the top of the roof as we went over the bridge.  I don’t know how tall that is, but we were way up there.
 
Several miles of I-10 go through the swamps, one of them I noted was Henderson Swamp.


The construction of this highway had to be a real nightmare.  I noticed as we went along that there were some real high water marks on some of these pillars.


We took State Road 44 south t0 Convent.  It is also called River Road because it follows the Mississippi River between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.  Several old plantations are located along this stretch of road.  We are staying at one that has an RV park on site.  I have to admit that it’s a little different than my vision of a plantation (which is Tara).  But it’s a really neat place.
We are staying at Poche Plantation.  The plantation house was built in 1870 by Judge Felix Pierre Poche who was one of the founders of the American Bar Association.


The style of the house is Victorian Renaissance Revival.  We’ve walked around the outside of the house, but haven’t gone inside yet.  From what I’ve read about the plantation I know that at least a small part of the blockbuster movie “The Butler” was shot here.
 
The current owners are doing a lot of work to the plantation and they have already completed a lot of improvements.  Like rental cabins.
 
The pool area and a lot of the buildings on the grounds have hand painted murals on them.


The hot tub is in this cute little structure – not sure you can tell by the picture but it has a beautiful cut glass window in the back


Tomorrow night we’ll be attending a free dinner put on by the owners on Halloween night – as long as we don’t have eye of newt, I think I’ll be good.
We went across the road and walked along a path at the top of the levee along the Mississippi River.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment