Friday, January 24, 2014

Florida, Dover - Friday, January 24, 2014 - East Tampa RV Resort


Yesterday we rode the bike to Clearwater to go to Technology Research Corporation, about 45 minutes away.  They make surge protectors for RVs, among other things.  The surge protector we purchased last year quit working, but it was still under warranty.  We decided to return it in person rather than trying to ship it back for a replacement.
I know it sounds like the only thing we are doing right now is dealing with fixing things.  This home is just like any other home, it requires constant fixing, maintaining, cleaning and upgrading.  We just get to do it in warmer weather.

Yesterday was a perfect day for riding, 60s and bright sunshine.  Our ride took us across Tampa Bay - that is one long bridge.  On the way back I saw a couple of dolphins swimming in the bay.
Since the sun was still shining in the afternoon so it was warm enough to sit outside, Greg asked me to cut his hair.  I think if I was really confident enough to hang out my shingle I could probably get some other customers.  Seems like every time I’m cutting his hair, several guys walk by and make a comment about where the line forms.  Unfortunately, I’m only good enough to promise that his hair will be shorter, everyone else may not be too accepting of that limitation.

I made Puerto Rican Shredded Pork, a recipe I got from a National Pork Board advertisement.  The recipe called for browning the pork before putting it in the crock pot, but I skipped that step and it turned out great.
2-3 lb. pork boneless sirloin roast (I used a tenderloin)

Combine in a blender:
5 cloves garlic
1 T. cumin
½ T. salt
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 c. orange juice
4 limes, juiced (I used the juice in one of those little green squeeze limes, 2 T. equals one lime)

Pour the citrus seasoning mix over the pork in the crock pot and set on low for 8 hours.  My crock pot didn’t take nearly this long, watch the temperature so it doesn’t dry out.  When the meat is done, shred it and add some of the cooking liquid to it.
We’ll get a couple of meals of barbequed pork sandwiches and two meals of pork enchiladas from this.

Today, after walking and getting some basic chores done, I decided to sit in the sun by the pool and bring some organization to my Pinterest boards.  I had so many pins under “recipes” that it was pretty hard to find what I wanted.  So, I edited what I had pinned into several different recipe categories – much better.
It feels so good to have a working fridge again.  Having salads for supper and berries for breakfast was really missed, not to mention being able to fix a dish and be able to save leftovers for another meal.

This campground has quite a few scheduled activities during the month, but we have a feeling we would have a hard time participating in any of them.  We originally thought that the people here were about 50% French speaking Canadians, I think we can up that figure to about 90% now that we have walked around the park a few times.  We did see one other RV with Indiana plates but we haven’t seen them outside to introduce ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment