Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Kansas, Pratt - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - Moving Bales


Yesterday Greg worked moving bales with forks on the back of the pickup truck.  Today he was going to be working with something a little bigger.
 
 
We followed David to the field where the bales needed to be moved today.  I don’t think it was more than 10 miles, but it seemed like we were going forever and ended up in the middle of nowhere.  While I was following in one of the pickup trucks I was making notes of how many crossroads that came up and where we turned.  Most of the roads are unmarked and I wanted to be able to find my way out.
While David showed Greg how to operate the machinery,

 
 I took some pictures of the landscape, sunflowers and clouds.
 
 
 
David says the “soil” in this area is called sugar sand.  This is what the roads look like, it blows into drifts like snow.  If it wasn’t for the plants in the fields, the soil would just blow away.
 

This should keep him busy for a while.
 
 

David and I headed back to his shop to see if he could repair the air conditioner in one of the trucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment