Sunday, September 8, 2013

Kansas, Pratt - Sunday, September 08, 2013 - Farm Hand in Training


We went to the field with David this morning to see if we could be of any help.  He had some of the big round bales in a couple of fields that needed to be moved and stacked out of the way.  David explained the process to Greg (five minutes max) and then we left him to work through it.

My training was a bit more time consuming.  I got in the swather (not sure of the spelling) which is the machine that cuts the hay or grass along with David.  I watched and asked questions for about three times around the field.  Then it was my turn to try it.  David was running this machine about 8 mph taking a nice full swath each time.  I only felt comfortable going about 5 mph and had a bit of trouble getting the full width swath.  I figure it would take me about twice as long to do a field as it did David.  But, my swaths were much more creative than David’s, his were so straight and boring.  Mine had nice zigzags and even one circle before I got the hang of it.  This thing turns like a zero turn mower.

I really think I could get the hang of this.  We’ll see if he is that hard up for help.

This afternoon I picked up the grandkids, Wyatt and Cheyanne and brought them back to the RV for a few hours.  Cheyanne wanted her picture taken with Grandpa.
 

Wyatt and Grandpa watched the football game.
 
Cheyanne and Grandma made some Tumbleweeds.
 
It’s a simple four ingredient recipe that tastes “wonderful” according to Cheyanne.  Combine 12 oz. nuts (we used cashew pieces) and 4 oz. shoestring potatoes in a large bowl.  Melt 12 oz. butterscotch chips and 2 T. peanut butter in the microwave.  Pour the melted chips over the nuts and potatoes and mix well.  Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper and put in the fridge until set.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment