Thursday, February 13, 2014

Florida, Moore Haven - Thursday, February 13, 2014 - Activities Day at the Campground


Happy Birthday to son-in-law, Jason.  Since I didn’t write yesterday it’s belated, but still as heartfelt.

I forgot to mention that when we took our ride around Lake Okeechobee on Tuesday that we checked out a lot of acres of sweet corn and green beans.  They are growing beautifully in black soil.  When I was gardening I only dreamed of soil that looked like that – the Indiana clay soil was always a challenge.

Yesterday was our big day of participating in clubhouse activities.  The morning starts out with a “meet your neighbors” meeting that introduces new people and gives a rundown on some of the special activities coming up for the next month or so. 

After the meeting, line dance classes are offered.  I watched last week and decided to participate this week.  I did manage to master a couple of the easier dances, but I think I may have already forgotten some of the steps.  Maybe they will come back to me next Wednesday when I plan to attend again. 

At 2:00 they have an “unfinished crafts projects” get together.  Once again I just sat in and met some of the people last week.  This week I dug out a cross stitch project I started 25 years ago.  I had no idea it had been that long, but there was a date on it.
 
 
I sat down with the group and got all ready to work on my project only to realize that my eyesight isn’t what it was 25 years ago.  I couldn’t see well enough to do more than a few stitches!  I think I am going to have to buy one of those magnifying glasses that fits around your neck.  I used to chuckle when I saw those in magazines – how funny would that look.  Guess I’m going to find out or this thing is never going to get finished.

Around 4:30 the campground management sent out word that some potentially strong storms might be hitting our area with strong winds.  They urged everyone to pull in their awnings and put away lawn chairs, etc. that might blow away.  I was impressed.  We’ve gone through some pretty strong storms and we’ve never had campground management care enough to warn people.  We usually watch the weather pretty closely on a couple of apps Greg has on his phone and we have a weather alert radio so we are usually pretty aware of what is happening on our own, but I appreciated that extra step they took to make sure everything was safe.

After we put everything away we went up to the clubhouse to have pizza and play Bingo.  They play 12 games and I won one of them - I won $17.25.  As we were playing we could hear the thunder from the storm that was going on outside.  The major storm was over by the time we headed home, but it was still raining a little.  The wind picked up during the night and has blown hard all day today.

Our mail came in yesterday and it contained all of our tax information papers.  So, today we spent getting things ready to send to our CPA in Indiana.  This is the first year we haven’t set down with him face to face and gone through things with him, hope we remembered everything.  Thankfully Greg took the lead on this project or it would probably be going on for a week or so.

Tomorrow night there is a Valentine’s Day dinner and dance here at the clubhouse.  Prime rib and all the fixings is on the menu.  A small band will be playing for the dance after dinner.  It’s a sold out function.  Tickets were limited to 120 people and we bought a couple of them on the day we checked in, looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment