Friday, June 6, 2014

Indiana, Anderson - Friday, June 6, 2014 - Timberline Valley RV Resort


The Wi-Fi here at the campground and our hot spot have both been spotty so it has been really hard to post to the blog.  I really didn’t miss posting too much exciting J.
On Tuesday evening we worked at the gun club with daughter Desira and son-in-law Dan.  On Wednesday it poured down rain so we stayed inside and enjoyed some movies.

Thursday we headed for Columbus, IN for another dentist appointment for Greg – the weather was beautiful for a bike ride.  That night we went into Pendleton for the June Jamboree with daughter Amanda and grandkids Mackenzie and Kyle.  I think Kyle managed to ride all of the rides except the “little kid” rides.  We enjoyed a K-burger from the Kiwanis booth and an ice cream cone.  Funny how the June Jamboree seemed so much bigger when I was younger.  I forgot to take my camera so no pictures, sorry.
Today we were up bright and early because I had an appointment at 9:30 to get my hair highlighted.  I’ve been putting that off thinking that my hair would eventually turn to a nice shade of silver or white.  Looks like that isn’t going to happen, it’s just turned kind of a mousy blah color so it’s going to need some help.

This afternoon I tried a couple of simple new recipes that turned out pretty good.
The first one I don’t have a name for, but you put 1 T. butter in a skillet, add half a bag of frozen corn and cook for 5-7 minutes.  Add 1/8 tsp. garlic powder, ¼ tsp. pepper and ¼ tsp. paprika, stir until well coated.  Add 1/6 cup parmesan cheese and stir until a little melted.  I like this one, Greg was ok with it but he doesn’t really like frozen corn.

The next one was Cream Drop Scones.  I saw this one on Pinterest and decided to fix it because I happened to have some leftover heavy cream that I didn’t want to throw away.

Stir together:
1 ½ c. four
2 T. sugar
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt

Add 1 c. heavy cream and stir until dough just comes together
Drop by small ice cream scoops onto parchment paper.  Sprinkle with coarse sugar (what I used was called sugar sprinkles).  Bake at 400 degrees 15-20 minutes or until golden.  Serve warm
 

 
We put sliced strawberries and whipped cream over these and they were delicious.
I am experimenting with “salads in a jar”.  They are supposed to last a week in the fridge.  I will probably use them in a couple of days instead of waiting a week.  I put one together a couple of days ago to see if a decent sized salad would fit in a half-pint jar – it does.  The secret is to push the lettuce down really tight and put the lid on quick before it pops back up again.  I wouldn’t store these on the side, but it made it easier to take a picture of what it looks like.  These have carrots, celery, roma tomato slices, green pepper and romaine.  I’ll let you know how they turn out.  They look really pretty sitting in the fridge and I feel good knowing I have salads ready to go, so no excuses about not wanting to chop vegetables when dinner time rolls around.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment