Monday, April 30, 2018

Nebraska, Waco - Monday, April 30, 2018 - Double Nickle Campground


When I downloaded the pictures from my camera to write this post I realized I still had some on it from our trip into Kansas.  Seems no matter how hard I try I can’t get the state line signs right.



We had a wonderful two weeks in Kansas.  Like we promised, we brought rain.  They hadn’t had any significant rainfall for 199 days.  It rained three times in the two weeks we were there.  For the most part the weather was mild and we even had a few days when there weren’t strong winds.

We had lots of meals with David, Lisa and the kids.  Since our fridge is on the blink right now – the cooling unit went out – so we supported the local restaurant community and Lisa cooked a great supper for us one night.  More than anything we just enjoyed being around them and catching up with what is going on in their lives.  I visited school and had lunch with Cheyanne one day.  They don’t make school lunches like they used to, lots of food goes to waste now and I really don’t blame the kids, I didn’t eat all of mine either.

A highlight of the visit was getting Cheyanne ready for the Daddy and Daughter dance.  She wanted her straight hair curly for the evening.  Grandma’s hot rollers did the trick.  She looked so pretty and grown up.



David cleaned up pretty good too.



Last night David and the kids and I enjoyed some card game that got a little noisy, but we sure did laugh a lot.  I’ll have to see if I can find the game, I don’t remember the name, but I think I will remember the box it comes in.

We left right at 9:00 this morning (just a couple of tears from Mom).  This rainbow doesn’t show up good in the picture, but all the colors were evident as we pulled out of the driveway.  Maybe that is a sign of good things to come.



These old water towers always make me smile when we leave Pratt.  The one that says “Hot” is hidden behind the tree (once again my timing was off).



As we cross the Nebraska state line, I get my now typical photo of half of the sign.  I assure you I’m not doing this on purpose!



The winds have been strong this morning but most of the time we have been headed north and the wind is at our back.  This picture is not out of focus, it is of a dust storm that is ahead of us.



There was a stretch when we were on I-70 going east for about 25 miles that Greg was fighting the crosswinds.  The winds got really bad when we pulled off of 81 north onto 80 east.  Thankfully, we only had to go 7 miles until we reached the campground.  Even as big and heavy as we are it was moving us around and tractor-trailers were leaning sideways.  There was a state patrol car with its lights on just before we hit this dust moving across the road.  We think he might have been getting ready to shut the road down, it was pretty nasty.  I don’t think this picture looks as bad as it was in reality.



This picture is right after we got out of the dust.



We are spending the night in Waco, Nebraska at the Double Nickle Campground.  It’s really nice family owned campground.  The rate with our Good Sam discount was $42.75 for a 50 amp full hookup site.  We are located in a 100’ level gravel pull through site facing south so we aren’t getting any severe crosswinds.

This picture is looking out our front window.  See the little white building in the center – that is the Severe Weather Shelter.  I can see good and bad in this, I think it is good that they have one, not so good that they need one.  Hopefully, we won’t have to use it.



Greg is hoping that there is more to it than meets the eye above ground.



There are lots of things for kids to do here.  I’m taking these pictures from the comfort of the motor coach since I’m not sure I could stand up outside.  The playground area looks great.  The pool is being reconditioned right now.  There is also a nice sized miniature golf course.  Pinball machines and arcade games are available in the clubhouse.




Each site has a picnic table, porch swing and fire pit.  If the wind wasn’t so bad, I would sit out in the swing and have a glass of wine.

This is our front window view, the trees should block some of the wind and dust.



We will be heading out early tomorrow for Sioux Falls, SD.

No comments:

Post a Comment