Sunday, April 8, 2018

Arizona, Mesa - Sunday, April 8, 2018 - What We Did This Winter


I’m sitting inside avoiding sunny outside temperatures in the high 90’s.  We may get out and wander around a bit once it cools down.  We’ve booked this same site for next year and have made a verbal contract to work at the grill again.  We just bought those two red recliners.  We had looked at all of the logical places to find outdoor furniture without any luck.  I was walking through Kohl’s last week and saw these anti-gravity recliners on sale for half price – WooHoo!!



I’m not sure we are ready to face the havoc Mother Nature is bringing down on our next destinations of Kansas and Indiana.  She has about 10 days to clean up her act!!  We will be leaving here next Friday going to visit with David and the kids in Kansas until the end of April.

Although this is our first post of 2018, we really have been busy and have enjoyed wonderful weather since we arrived the first of October.  Many of our days haven’t been very blogworthy, doing the same things most people are doing – working, cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc.  We each worked 12 hours a week to cover the expenses for our site and utilities.  We’ve square danced a lot – usually 4-5 times a week (for 2 hours each time).  We caught a Cubs vs. Oakland game before spring training was over.

A couple of weeks ago we saw the movie, Leisure Seeker.  It stars Donald Sutherland and Helen Miran.  It’s about an elderly couple that decides to run away from home for one last vacation in their 40 year old Winnebago.  She has cancer and he has bouts of dementia.  It will make you laugh and make you cry.

Most of our time has been spent doing some upgrades to our home on wheels.  The main one was to add a fireplace.  A cabinet previously took up this space.  We are really enjoying this one.



Replacing the bathroom vent isn’t quite as interesting as the fireplace, but I’m loving the fact that the screen comes down so I can clean it.  The screen was fixed in the previous one and was a real pain to clean.



This little cabinet tucked under the dining table is only 3” deep.  When we moved in 7 years ago it seemed the perfect spot for a spice cabinet but I have never liked the louvered doors.



Greg replaced the louvered portions with some decorative metal.  Love it, but didn’t love the way the containers looked since you could see them now.



Fixed the problem with some black spray paint and some new labels.  I’m good now.




The dining table plays double duty as a work space whenever I sew or decide to get crafty.  However, these old eyes don’t see like they used to, the light just wasn’t bright enough for me to work in the evening.



Greg replaced the two small light fixtures with some that swivel and provide a lot more light.  I’m now working on a cross stitch piece I started back in 1988, I think I might get it done this year, 30 years later.



I’ve decided that I’m not much of an interior decorator.  We’ve lived with this little non-descript picture for 7 years.



Finally decided I needed to perk thinks up a bit.  Greg installed some of the new lights above the couch too so I can see better to read and one of them makes a nice spotlight for our new art.



We updated our picture wall over the winter.  I had trouble getting everyone in the picture, sorry Desira and Dan.



Our refrigerator doesn’t have a metal exterior so I can’t display grandkid’s artwork on it.  So, I copied it, reduced it and framed it next to the family pictures, thank you Braelynn.



Another area that wasn’t working quite like I wanted was the desk area.  We had the printer sitting on the desk which was ok until I wanted to use it.  If I opened the computer (hidden in the desk drawer) I would have to reach over the computer screen to work the printer.  Greg built a shelf that is high enough for a file underneath and it puts the printer at eye level over the computer.



This closet was originally supposed to be a coat closet.  We no longer have coats (take note Mother Nature) so it is our utility closet.



Greg made it much more usable and easy to organize with some nice shelves.



We also found these great little battery operated lights you can put anywhere and they are really bright.  After we bought one for the utility closet, we got a little crazy and installed 3 more – one under the table so I can see into the spice cabinet, one under the sink in the kitchen and one in the laundry area.



I know it sounds like Greg is the only one that has been busy, but remember somebody had to think of all this stuff (that would be me).
I did make a cover for my sewing machine, which is color coordinated with the picture next to it.



This picture is one I painted around 50 years ago when Nellie Keesling was still around to make sure I was doing it right.  For 50 years I have been meaning to get it framed – mark that one off my list!  My motto is better late than never.



After I put the picture where I wanted it I realized that the Longenberger basket next to it has similar flowers.



We couldn’t let the kitchen get by without a little upgrade.  The only plug in the kitchen area was underneath the overhead cabinet.  Some of my small appliances (like the crock pot) didn’t have a cord long enough to reach the plug so I was either building a little tower of things for them to sit on or taking them to bedroom and plugging them in there.



We’ve seen pop up plug towers in newer motor homes and thought they looked really nice.  Greg installed one and this is how it looks when it is down.



When it is up, I have three very handy plugs.  I really appreciates the work he does!!





No comments:

Post a Comment