Sunday, November 22, 2015

Arizona, Mesa - Sunday, November 22, 2015 - Recipe Conversions to Low Sodium


The Crosley family recipe for apple dumplings is a fall favorite so I was anxious to see if I could make something similar that fit into our diet.  The final conversion came in at just 106 calories and 110 mg. sodium per serving.  I did so many substitutions I was afraid it might not taste anything like the original, but it really turned out good.  I reduced the salt and used no sodium baking powder and unsalted butter in the crust.  Spray butter replaced melted butter and brown sugar blend replaced brown sugar to coat the crust.  Unsalted butter, just a pinch of salt and Truvia artificial sweetener instead of sugar worked for the sauce.
 
 
Greg scored two more successes using the smoker.  Before we left Indiana we bought a package of the thin sliced ribeye steaks that were served at the State Fair.  Just a sprinkle of Mrs. Dash Steak Seasoning and they were amazing.  Today he smoked half a fresh turkey breast for our Thanksgiving meal, he did it without brining the turkey but it still came out nice and moist.

I’ve also made no sodium sausage patties, broccoli cashew salad, barbeque sauce and banana oatmeal muffins this weekend.  Greg is happy with the sausage patties, the broccoli cashew salad is great and the barbeque sauce we have been using since the beginning when we found no salt added ketchup.  I should have stopped there because the muffins were kind of a waste of time – ok but not great by any means.

I know most of you could care less about low sodium food so I might be boring you.  But we get really excited when we find something like low-sodium sourdough bread at Safeway.  We had garlic bread!!  I’m not taking the time to write out our low sodium recipes on the blog, but if you find yourself in need of any, let me know.  No matter how hard I try there is no way I can find to fit our favorite ham loaf into the diet.  Pumpkin pie is presenting another challenge, I like our desserts to come in at less than 200 calories, will have to continue working on that, might get there before Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment