Friday, July 4, 2014

Indiana, Anderson - Friday, July 4, 2014 - Stream Cliff Herb Farm


Happy 4th of July to Everyone!!
Happy Belated Birthday to granddaughter Mackenzie!

Grandma was too tired to write the blog yesterday so I missed wishing her a happy birthday on her special day, sorry Mackenzie.  She wanted to spend her birthday at the gun club shooting range, hope she had a good time.
On Wednesday I offered to help daughter Desira weed her flower beds.  She has such beautiful gardens but she is so busy it is hard to keep on top of them.  Since I don’t have any dirt to play in myself, I was more than glad to help.  Before we started fulltiming I always had flowers and vegetable gardens that kept me busy when the weather was warm.  I found out I am now an out of shape gardener, need to do this more often. 

 


 
 

On Thursday my friends Dinah and Linda and Dinah’s daughter Jenny had a “girl’s day out” at Stream Cliff Herb Farm in Commisky, IN.
 
 
Not only do they have beautiful herbs and flowers, there is a lot of history associated with this farm.  In 1863, during the Civil War, Morgan’s Raiders came to this site.
 
 
When we were there a plant sale was going on.  They still have lots to choose from although we took three wagonloads to the car before we left.




We enjoyed a wonderful lunch at the tearoom.  We felt kind of sorry for the lone young man sitting back in the corner.  We saw him later toting out lots of flowers and plants for what appeared to be mom, sisters and grandmother.  They were lucky to have him with them.  Dinah and I have enjoyed a meal here with our husbands later in the day and there were other men here then.  It just happened that this young man was on his own today.
 
Our final stop was the Stream Cliff Farm Winery which is located in a former blacksmith shop on the farm.  We did a little taste testing and purchased a few to enjoy at home.  I chose their “Fancy Filly” sweet white wine.  It’s in the wine cooler now.

Greg and I spent this morning going through our storage unit.  We still have a 5x8 unit to house those “memories” you want to keep but don’t want to drag around with you all the time.  I did sort out a large box of cookbooks to get rid of.  Seems like I do most of my recipe searching online now and I’ve scanned most of my favorites from the past into files on my computer.  I do still like to have a few of my favorite books on the shelf to pick up and look through every once in a while.  We managed to whittle down some of what we have stored, it will probably take a couple more years before we are through sorting things out on our trips back to Indiana.
Not sure if we will venture out to see fireworks tonight or not.  We are grilling steaks to have with baked potatoes.  We may just kick back and watch TV after that.  We missed a couple of good fireworks shows last night in Anderson and Chesterfield, we’ll have to keep in mind next year that we need to search for displays happening on July 3.  We could hear them from the campground and they sounded like they were spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment