Monday, June 10, 2013

Indiana, Columbus - Leaving June 7, 2013


 
 
 
For the last 14 years I’ve spent more time in Columbus, IN than anywhere else.  In June of 1999 I started working here at Marvin Johnson & Associates.  Columbus is a beautiful town and since the office was right downtown, I got to enjoy a lot of it.  We saw the old Commons come down and saw the bright shiny new one being built.  It was a little shinier than we expected, we had to install new windows and shades to fight the glare of the sunshine off of the glass across the street.

 
 
The downtown area has lots of things for families to do, the Commons has a huge playground
and the Kids Commons is right next door to the office where I worked.  You also need to check out Zaharakos ice cream parlor with their huge pipe organ.  I highly recommend Smith’s Row for a breaded tenderloin.  My friend Jo treated me to one for lunch on my last day at work.

 
Fourth Street was redone just this past year into a beautiful area for outdoor community functions like Neighborfest and the Block Party.
My retirement party was held on May 17 which worked better into everyone’s schedule than June 7 did.  We had a fish fry put together by Mark Thayer.  I couldn’t have asked for a better sendoff—the food was great and my thoughtful co-workers gave me a very special travel package.  We have already made really good use of the book that tells us what is available at the next exit.


No comments:

Post a Comment