Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Indiana, Markleville - Saturday, August 6, 2016 - Keeping Busy in Indiana


We are keeping busy with family and friends and getting some of our “to do list” items done.  Of course, it seems like we (translated “I”) always have something to add to the list.  I mentioned to Greg that I would like to have a better way to corral cooking utensils and the paper towel roll.  I envisioned me getting the paper towels into the flame from the gas stove and there just wasn’t a good place to hang a towel holder.  We looked for something when we went to Shipshewana but couldn’t find anything like what I had in mind.  So, Greg took to the garage and put together something that is absolutely perfect.
This is a before picture.



Here is what we have after.  He stained and finished the box after he put it together, we may add some kind of decoration to it later, but for right now I am really pleased with the results.  Another plus is that it travels well.


One of my “to do” list items was to go through all of the travel brochures we had accumulated in the past five years.  Every time we go into a rest stop with state brochures I will pick up a few to browse through while we travel and I don’t always get rid of them as I should so we had a couple of boxes of them (stored in alphabetical order, of course) sitting behind Greg’s recliner.  Once I went through them and selected what I wanted to keep they fit in a nice basket beside the couch.  WooHoo – more space!!  I thought it would be perfect for an indoor window box.  So, Greg went back to the garage and put together a box that matches the first one, this one has divisions big enough to accommodate pots of flowers or plants.  He was working on these right around our anniversary, couldn’t have received a nicer gift.


This step in the bedroom was previously covered in porcelain tile like the floors in the rest of the coach.  It was ok but the tiles had been cut to fit the space and a couple had hairline cracks and the grout was beginning to dry out (this step covers the part of the engine compartment so it gets quite a bit of heat when we travel).  It just didn’t look like we wanted it to.  We decided that since there is a lot of wood in the bedroom we (Greg) would try to cover it in wood to match. Once again his project was a success.



Celebrating July birthdays with dinner and swimming later made for a great day with the grandkids.  Here are Kyle and Maddie showing off their diving skills.



Greg hasn’t been the only one with projects going on.  I made curtains for the door and window of Amanda’s first grade classroom.  She previously had brown paper rolled up which could be unrolled to cover the windows in case an intruder broke into the school and the classrooms had to be shut down – this is what the rest of the classrooms still have.  She showed me a picture she found on Pinterest of what she liked.  Unfortunately, some of the pictures don’t match the information you will find when you open up a site.  This was the case with this one – no directions.  What I was able to put together worked out quite well.



After we redid the valances around our motor coach windows last year we had a lot of material leftover (slight miscalculation on my part).  The material is made for outdoor use so Mike and Amanda’s swing and two chairs got some new cushions from our leftovers.




Speaking of Mike and Amanda, their second driveway is where we are staying until we leave Indiana the middle of September.  50 amp service was put in for us in the garage last year so we have all the comforts of home.



We’ll be here long enough to help Desira and Dan with the Shoot for the Cure.  This is the annual fundraiser they put together at Fall Creek Conservation Club to benefit breast cancer awareness.  Trap shooters from all over Indiana look forward to this fun weekend.  They always decorate the clubhouse in pink, including table decorations.  Decorations this year look like gumball machines and will hold candy for the shooters and visitors to enjoy during the day.  Desira and Dan put together the containers, I was responsible for the “bling”.




I took off a day to enjoy some “girl time” with a couple of my friends from high school.  Dinah (Hazel) Oldham and Linda (Noble) West and I had a great day at Stream Cliff nursery.



The flowers were looking gorgeous in spite of the heat and humidity.



We had some great blueberry salads at the restaurant on site.  We were too busy talking to remember to take pictures.  



Before we left we stopped in to enjoy the new stained glass window in the wedding chapel.


I was able to fill my new indoor window box with plants I brought back from the nursery.



This past Saturday we enjoyed meeting up with 20 or 25 of our high school classmates to talk about our 50th reunion coming up next June.  I can’t say that we got a lot accomplished but we had a great time catching up and enjoying the breaded tenderloins at Anita’s.  I think we made a start with updating addresses and collecting a few more dollars to cover expenses.








No comments:

Post a Comment