Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Kansas, Pratt - Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - Minor Repairs


We went to Great Bend today to pick up the washers we ordered for our stove burners.  When they were installed our problem still wasn’t solved.  One of the burners has a flame around the igniter, the other two don’t.  The last time we changed the washers the flame around the igniter seemed to disappear, but not this time.  I can still use the burner, we just prefer it works right.  We’ll have to check into another solution.

We stopped in Wal-Mart to pick up Greg’s favorite soft drink and while we were there I noticed they had a huge summer clothes clearance going on.  They must have just set this up because they weren’t picked over at all.  I found five pairs of shorts for only $3 each – originally $14 to $16 dollars.  I’m a happy camper!!  However, now I have to stick to my plan of “something in, something out”, got to figure out what goes.  I have several pairs of jeans I haven’t worn in the past year, they may be my target.

One of the shelf brackets where I store pots and pans let loose and was letting the shelf slip to one side.  The original brackets are plastic and look like this.
 
 
They work fine for a while, but after a while the ledge begins to give way as in the bracket on the right.  With the shelf on it it will bend down much further letting the shelf slip.

Greg replaced the original brackets with metal ones normally used for heavier book shelves.  He put brackets on both sides so they provide extra support for the pots and pans.  I’m pleased with the results.
 
 
 
I tried a new recipe this afternoon – Muffin Tin Apple Pies.  The original recipe made 24 little pies, we really didn’t need 24 little pies so I cut the recipe down to 6.  They are really good so I thought I would share the recipe.
 
 
Muffin Tin Apple Pies

Mix together:
2 c. apples, peeled and chopped (I used 2 Fuji apples because they were what I had but they don’t cook down really well, still good)

3 T. all-purpose flour

3/8 c. sugar (I used 3 T. Truvia baking blend)

1 heaping tsp. cinnamon

1/8 tsp. nutmeg (optional)

Cut 6 circles from one Pillsbury pie crust (one half box).  I used a red solo cup to cut the circles.  Pinch the edges of the dough to make a little “hammock” over six regular size muffin cups.  Fill the hammock with the apple mix and push it down to fill the muffin cups, it should be slightly mounded.

Cut 1 T. chilled butter into 6 pieces and place a piece on top of the apple mixture.

The recipe says to place pie crust scraps on top and brush with melted butter.  But, I had already tossed the scraps before I read that part.
Bake at 400 degrees for 18-22 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment