Saturday, April 22, 2017

New Mexico, Albuquerque - Saturday, April 22, 2017 - Heading to Amarillo


We’ve really enjoyed our time here in Albuquerque. We will be leaving tomorrow heading to Amarillo for an overnight stay.  We plan on taking advantage of the free breakfast provided by the RV Park before we leave.  We ate their breakfast on Thursday and were surprised that more than just bagels, juice and coffee were provided.  They offered yogurt, hard boiled eggs, cereal and waffles in addition to what we expected.



I forgot to mention in my post about the zoo that the combo ticket for seniors is just $10.00.  That gets you into the zoo, the aquarium, the botanical garden and includes unlimited train rides.

We had such fun square dancing with the clubs here.  Everyone was so welcoming.  One of the callers, Jerry Gilbreath, really knows how to mix things up so that even experienced dancers sometimes have to stop and think.  We found that the square dancers here are more vocal and enthusiastic than most we have danced with – sometimes it was hard to hear the caller over the dancers.

Friday during the day we spent catching up on laundry and cooking.  We cooked a whole chicken in the crockpot, part of it went into Cranberry and Almond Chicken Salad the rest will go in the freezer for something later.  A pot of beef stew made with Mrs. Dash Beef Stew seasoning, an Italian pasta salad and Oatmeal cookies are going to taste good as we travel this next week.

This morning, Saturday, we went grocery shopping at Smith’s which is part of the Kroger family.  The produce section is always our main target and the one here definitely differs from the Midwest ones we are most used to.  We could find cactus, many different kinds of dry beans sold in bulk, huge bags of dried chilis, corn husks for tamales, probably 20 kinds of tortillas and hundreds of piñatas of all different shapes and sizes.  However, if you wanted potatoes a ten pound bag of russets was your only option.  I still don’t know what we are going to do with ten pounds of potatoes, we’ll be eating those all the way back to Indiana.  I wonder if they always have the piñatas hanging everywhere or if they are just anticipating Cinco de Mayo sales.

They didn’t carry the brand of bread we are used to buying which fits into our low sodium diet so I had to look at the nutrition information.  I picked up one and showed it to Greg.  He said, “I can’t read it I don’t have my glasses.”  I said, “You couldn’t read it anyway, it is in Spanish.”  I have found though that as I’ve seen signs and advertisements in Spanish here they do mostly make sense to me.  Maybe if I was here for a longer stay I would find that four years of high school Spanish might come back to me.

This afternoon I’ve spent catching up on the blog.  I can’t let it get too far behind or I forget what I want to write about what we have seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment