Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Virginia, Alexandria - Sunday, September 18, 2016 - Mt. Vernon Tour


The weather for Sunday looked good until late evening so we decided to take a tour of Mt. Vernon, George Washington’s home.

Maddie and Papaw Greg taking a break before we start our walking tour of the grounds.



In the museum Maddie had to check out the Washington family, including their noses and ears in great detail.



This is a beautiful miniature version of the house.  I would have paid more attention to getting the details in some good pictures if I had realized you can’t take pictures inside the house itself.  The house has a lot of original paintings that belonged to Washington and I think the flash from cameras would harm them and they probably don’t want people taking pictures and duplicating them.




Dinah Oldham this picture is for you.  Beautiful stained glass history timeline.



These Washington quotes made me feel really good about the man who was picked to be our first President.  I wish I could say the same about all of those who followed him.



Maddie managed to keep up with all of the walking we had to do.  It had been a while since Greg and I had been walking for any distance but we found we didn’t have a problem.



The market featuring vendors from Washington’s time in period clothing was special this weekend.  I understand that it isn’t here all the time.  I had to feel for the folks in all of those long dresses, long sleeved shirts and vests.  We were getting pretty warm in our shorts and t-shirts.  They had all kinds of vendors – bakers, soap makers, pottery, gourd bowls, fabric stenciling and more.  The “doctor” selling his elixir to cure all your aches and pains was fun to listen to.




The puppeteer was a favorite of the little kids.



On the path to tour the house we came across the “necessary”.  A real step up from most outhouses of the time.



This is a back view of the house and kitchen (the small building to the right).  There was a game of cricket going on in the large yard in the rear of the house.




I always thought the house was made out of stone.  In fact it is made of wood covered in a procedure called “rustication”.  Pine boards were grooved and beveled to create the appearance of masonry.  The boards were then varnished and painted and fine sand was thrown onto the wet paint.



This is the front of the house overlooking the Potomac River.  If I lived here I wouldn’t get anything done, I’d be sitting on this porch all day.



Not much going up and down the river today.



In the carriage house we didn’t find Washington’s carriage but one just like he would have used – pretty ornate.



From the carriage house we walked back to Washington’s tomb.  Washington is on the right, Martha is on the left.  Beyond the black door in the middle 25 other family members are buried.  This is a really narrow, deep building.



A lot of restraint is going on here to keep from running up and petting the horse.



The gardens are huge and still looking good.



There is a variety of livestock on the farm.  We saw cows, pigs and sheep in addition to the horses.



We stopped at the Mt. Vernon Inn for lunch.  A few of the pictures I took today were a little blurry.  I kept putting the camera in the bag with the cold water bottles and the lens would fog up when I took it out.



I had sparkling apple cider with my sandwich of fried green tomato, bacon, spinach, and gruyere cheese on wheat toast – really good!  It was supposed to have over easy eggs on it but since I don’t like eggs I got them on the side and Greg enjoyed them with his club sandwich.  Robyn was brave and tried the peanut soup they are known for.  It looked a lot like watered down peanut butter which didn’t seem really appealing to me so I didn’t try it.  She said it was “different” and didn’t finish the cup.  It must be an acquired taste.



Sunday brunch has “first come, first served” seating.  We got in with just a few minutes waiting.  This room is available for those who have to wait a bit longer to be seated.



This was a really great way to spend Sunday afternoon – Thanks Jason and Robyn!

No comments:

Post a Comment